Monday, August 27, 2012

Day Eighty-Six -- Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone

James 3:13--5:20, 1 & 2 Peter, and 1, 2 & 3 John

There is an abundance of good instruction and exhortations given in these letters of James, Peter and John.  To pray when in trouble, sing when happy, to anoint the sick, to prepare our minds for action, to live in harmony, to love one another, to be on guard against false teachings.  There is a strong sense of the need of community support to live a life that is faithful to God.  We all need encouragement and accountability along the way, for the road of life's journey has many twists and turns.  We often need others to show us the better way.  This does not mean that we are always to be the receivers of support, for we are also called to be givers, not only to those within the community but to those who are not yet a part.  We are givers to all persons by the way that we live our everyday lives.  The greatest witness we give to the love of God is how we act while at work, or when we gather with friends, or shop in the grocery store, or drive our vehicles down the streets and highways.

Years ago (it seems like another lifetime) when I was an employee of the Federal Government, I was reading my Bible as I ate my lunch.  I can remember being struck by a single verse from the First Letter of Peter: "Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you" (! Peter 3:16).  Wow, I thought, does my life reflect a hope that others can see?  The people in the congregation I belonged to might have seen it, but did I live and act so that it could be seen by people I encountered outside the church?  And if they asked me 'What makes you so pleasant or cheerful' would I have the words and more importantly the courage to tell them?

"Always be prepared."  I have tried to do my best ever since that day.  And with the love and encouragement of my brothers and sisters in Christ, I'm still trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment